What are the requirements to celebrate a wedding or partner registration between an Austrian citizen and a foreign? In this post, you will find a list of the requirements in English and German, as well as an explanation of how to get some papers, and where you can hold the ceremony.

Before submitting the documentation, it is very important that you take into account that absolutely all documents must be translated into German with an official translator and apostilled at the corresponding authority in your country. Remember to scan or make a copy of everything before always delivering it, for safety and precaution.

To get married or register as a couple in Austria, you have to go to a Standesamt (Civil Registry). You will need to make an appointment in advance and pay. The amount depends on the Standesamt you choose. Remember that the weekend and spring dates are always the most popular, so you need to book in advance, however, you cannot reserve a date if you´re wedding is more than six months away.

Which papers should your Austrian partner submit?

  • Birth certificate (Geburtsurkunde).
  • Certificate of nationality (Staatsbürgerschaftsnachweis).
  • Official photo identification (Lichtbildausweis).
  • Housing address register (Meldezettel).
  • Bachelor’s or master’s degree, if you want your degree to appear on the certificate, it is not mandatory (i.e., graduate, master) (Nachweis des akademischen Grades).

Which papers must you deliver as a foreigner?

Take into account that these requirements are for a person who does not have any European nationality (Third-country nationals).

  • Birth certificate (Geburtsurkunde).
  • Valid passport (Gültiger Reisepass)
  • Housing address register (Meldezettel).
  • Bachelor’s or master’s degree, if they want it to appear on the certificate, it is not mandatory (Nachweis des akademischen Grades).
  • Certificate of single status from the country of origin, must not be older than 6 months (Ledigkeitsbescheinigung der ausländischen Vertretungsbehörde in Österreich).

Make sure that all your documents are as recent as possible, even when it is not a requirement, this can help you so that the process is not obstructed.

It is very important that if you plan to marry/register as a couple and live in Austria, you have a minimum knowledge of German (at least A1), this will help you not only to get your residence permit, but you also have to understand what they tell you in the Civil Registry, as the staff there has to make sure that you understand what you are doing and that you are doing it of your own free will.

IMPORTANT: You must take into account that EACH CASE IS DIFFERENT. Although the requirements are the same for everyone, your specific situation may be handled differently by the authorities or may require extra documents. The best thing is to go to the corresponding Civil Registry (Standesamt) and ask.


Civil Registry in Vienna: Standesamt Wien.

Unofficial List of Civil Registries in Austria: Standesamt Finder.

Austrian government website on marriage and its requirements: Standesamtliche Trauung.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s